Friday, November 5, 2010

Moving Rooms

Elena has moved a fair bit in her short little life so far and slept in a few bedrooms.  From hospital to Nana Rose's at Ramarama to 'the old house' and to the 'new house' - so she's got used to moving house.  All that time she's been in our room with us.   The time had come this week for Elena to move rooms.  

Elena spent Sunday night trying to 'jump out' of her bassinette, and I spent all night awake watching her  fling her legs up to her head (ready to jump to the rescue should the legs go over the edge) and wriggle wriggle wriggle.
This was over a month ago in her carry cot.
Imagine this kind of carry on in the middle of the night in her bassinette!!

I had been in denial up until that night that she would be moving to her big girls bed (her cot) for another few weeks.  But alas, the time had come.  Monday night was the big move.  Elena's been having lots of sleeps in the cot, which is in her room, during the day so she had got used to it and had done some mammoth sleeps in it, so I haven't been worried that the transition would be a hard one for her.  It was me I was worried about.

So accustomed to the little noises in the night I had become since the day she was born.  So used to being able to get up when she needed feeding and jump back into bed with her...and only have walked five metres there and back in the process.  So comforted I had been knowing I could hear her and see her just there...safe and tucked up.  

In her bedroom - well that's another story for mummy.  Down the hall.  Away from me.  Would she be ok?  Had she got used to us breathing in the night in the same room?  Was she comforted by knowing we were there and just a couple of steps away should she need us?  We weren't to know until we actually moved her - which we did on Monday - the night after I couldn't sleep for fear she was going to become a little gymnast and flip flop out of her bed.    

Elena has been sleeping through the night for a few months....we put her down sometime between 7-8pm, and she normally doesn't stir until around 6am, except in a blue moon when she'll wake at around 3am.  (Yes I know - we are very lucky!!)  So my excuse of needing her in the room so I could feed her easily in the middle of the night has been quite a lame one.  

And I needn't have worried.  Elena was fine!  In fact for most of the week she has slept longer!!!  Waking between 7-8am.  I've got up a few times when I've heard a little squeak through the monitor, and have had to feed her once or twice (but I think that has more to do with her starting to get ready to eat rather than being in the cot - another story I'm also trying to stay in denial about!!)

Little wriggling munchkin after an afternoon nap that started further down the mattress
and 90 degrees the other way - very pleased with herself she was...
the sleeping sac became a 'must have' item for the cot sleeps to stop this
So all in all it has been a successful transition for Elena, mum and dad.  No more whispering in our room when we go to bed.  Baby girl is getting enough beauty sleep.  Gregg doesn't need to dismantle and reassemble the cot again.  Caleb is pretty stoked too that the kids rooms at the end of the hall our now both being used.  I think he likes being able to keep a watchful ear on his little sister in the room next door.

On our way to bed, Gregg and I peep through the door..then go in (Elena's like a magnet!!) - look at each other in amazement at the little sleeping baby who is growing up so fast, but is just our precious little bubby.

Peeping through the door you can just see her in her cot
"Sweet dreams baby girl, love you lots." Followed by two little kisses from mummy and daddy.  Before we turn and walk to the other end of the hall.  And I'm feeling ok.          

   

1 comment:

  1. lovely story rach. Except the sleeping through the night stuff. Don't need to hear about that...! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to read your comments....